The risk of fire during the holiday season is often forgotten during this time of year. Like millions of homes in the United States the holiday season includes Christmas trees and festive holiday decorations. You should be aware that all this holiday beauty comes with a risk of fire.
The holiday season allows us to take in the glow of a warm fire, a joyfully decorated home or office but a potentially hazardous problem may be lurking if the proper precautions are not taken. Elite Restorations wants this holiday season to be safe and joyful for all and wants you to be aware of potential dangers during this holiday season.
It is an unfortunate fact that Christmas day is the busiest day of the year for candle fires. Candles and Cristmas trees have been reported to be two factors of fires during our coldest months. In the United States Christmas trees account for more than 196 fire a year and has cause over $5 million in property damage. Candles caused 1,270 injuries $539 million in property damage.
Below are a few Holiday Tips that should be considered:
- Do not overload power outlets with holiday lights. Pay close attention to the manufacturer’s instructions on the number of lights you can string together.
- Consider using battery-operated flameless candles.
- Be careful not to splatter wax when extinguishing a candle.
- Use flashlights instead of candles for emergency lighting.
- Do not purchase a Christmas tree that is dry or dropping needles excessively.
- Water your Christmas tree once a day.
- Strings of lights should not be frayed, spliced or broken.
- When purchasing an artificial tree make sure it is labeled fire-retardant.
- It is important not to link too many light strands together.
Connect strings of lights to an extension cord before plugging the cord into the outlet. Be sure to periodically check the wires; they should not be warm to the touch.
During the Holiday season while we take time to enjoy the charm and cheer of our assorted bright lights, Christmas trees and life size Santa Claus figures, it is our responsibility to inform people of the hidden dangers. We also enjoy seeing the glowing lights of the holiday season, but we also want everyone to be safe.
Elite Restorations, a restoration service company, will be able to help you quickly to recover and restore any damage, if an unfortunate disaster does strike your home. Within an hour of the initial notification, a Elite Restoration Professional will be on-site to start process.Read Mold Remediation and Cleanup Methods -What Every Homeowner Must Know!